Former San Antonio Spurs star George (Iceman) Gervin was admitted to a hospital as the victim of an apparent drug overdose, according to a San Antonio newspaper.
A Methodist Hospital spokeswoman confirmed that Gervin, 38, was taken to the hospital by ambulance Saturday, but she could not elaborate on his treatment.
The San Antonio Light said that according to a police report, Gervin told an officer that he snorted what he “thought was cocaine” and later did not know what it was that he put up his nose. Gervin also told the officer he “did not want to commit suicide,” the police report stated.
Spur Coach Larry Brown said he had tried to get Gervin out of retirement a month ago.
“They tell me you have got to hit rock bottom before they can make you better. Maybe this is what it’s going to take for Ice to get straight,” Brown said.