Propane Fire Injures Toddlers

Two toddlers were injured Saturday afternoon when a propane tank attached to a stove exploded in their Fallbrook apartment at 40 North Peco Drive, said sheriff’s department spokesman Roy Sanford.

Enrique Esquivel,2, was reported in serious condition Saturday afternoon at UC San Diego’s burn center. A sister, Veronica, 18 months, was treated and released at UCSD, Sanford said. Their mother, Maria, was not injured in the explosion, he said.

The explosion sparked a fire that did an estimated $15,000 in damage to the apartment. Neighboring apartments were slightly damaged. An investigation of the accident is continuing, Sanford said.