Richard H. Bourassa Jr., the 17-year-old Anaheim boy charged with murdering a classmate four years after he fatally shot another classmate, was ordered Wednesday to remain in custody at Orange County Juvenile Hall pending a hearing next month to determine whether he should be tried as an adult.
Saying that he "made the right decision" on Monday when he first ordered the youth detained, Juvenile Court Judge Michael Brenner denied the request of Bourassa's attorney that the youth be released to the custody of his parents.
Bourassa surrendered to authorities Monday after being charged with murder and involuntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting death of Christian Wiedepuhl, 17, of Anaheim. Wiedepuhl was shot to death May 24 in the Bourassa family home in the same room that Bourassa had shot Jeffrey Allen Bush, a 13-year-old classmate, in what was ruled an "accidental shooting death."
Deputy Dist. Atty. Kathi Harper contends the latest shooting was no accident, adding that she was pleased with the judge's ruling Wednesday. "Two young boys have died at his hands," she said. "He's dangerous."
Bourassa's attorney, Edward W. Hall, said his client is innocent of the charges. He added that Bourassa and his parents have cooperated with authorities during their four-month investigation.
Hall said he was displeased with the ruling.
"The authorities have known where and how to locate him for four months and if he was not considered to be a danger in those four months, I fail to see how he can be a danger now merely because a petition had been filed against him," Hall said.
A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 11 in which prosecutors will argue that Bourassa should be tried as an adult.