Khalid Ali was, by all accounts, a darn good running back during his two-year tenure at Granada Hills High.
He set a slew of rushing records in 1985 and ’86. Entering the season, in fact, Ali’s name appeared in the Highlander record book 10 times as the owner of various career or single-game marks.
Yet with a record-busting senior season, Brett Washington has rendered Ali a football footnote, blotting his name completely out of the team record book. Washington, a 6-foot, 225-pound fullback, has 14 school records, surprising even himself.
“I never thought about breaking records,” Washington said. “I’m kind of shocked.”
So were most of Granada Hills’ opponents, against whom Washington routinely rolled up big numbers. The following is a compendium of Washington’s pandemonium. Listed parenthetically are the former marks and the name of the previous record-holder/victim:
* Longest run from scrimmage, a 93-yard dive play during a 48-7 victory over Compton earlier this season (Kurt Schumacher, 89 yards against Bell, 1974).
* Single-game rushing total of 252 yards against Compton (Ali, 218 yards against Westlake, 1986).
* Single-game point total of 30 against Compton (Greg Fowble, 28 points against Van Nuys, 1985).
* Single-game touchdowns with five against Compton (Ali, four against Westlake, 1986).
* Single-season rushing total of 1,638 yards in 1990 (Ali, 1,370 yards in 1986).
* Single-season rushing touchdowns with 22 in 1990 (Ali, 18 in 1986).
* Single-season points with 146 in 1990 (Ali, 120 in 1986).
* Single-season total touchdowns with 24 in 1990 (Ali, 20 in 1986).
* Career rushing total of 3,410 yards from 1987-90 (Ali, 2,062 yards).
* Career touchdowns with 49 (Ali, 26 touchdowns).
* Career rushing touchdowns with 43 (Ali, 24).
* Career points with 296 (Fowble, 187 points, 1984-85).
* Career rushing average of 7.4 yards (Ali, 6.8 yards).
Lest Washington feel guilty about erasing Ali from the book, he can take solace in the fact that he did in himself as well. His 14th record?
* Single-season rushing average of 9.3 yards a carry in 1990 (Brett Washington, 7.5 yards in 1989).
Defense: The 378 passing yards surrendered by Granada Hills in its 57-13 loss to Carson was virtually half (49.7%) of the yards allowed in the team’s previous 11 games (761). It was likewise with the point total--Granada Hills had yielded just 118 points entering the Carson game.
Basketball: Nordhoff has some pretty good players in Tim and Mark Sebek, sons of Coach Dick Sebek. Junior Tim scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in a win over Carpinteria and scored 31 points with 10 rebounds in a win over Santa Ynez. In Nordhoff’s only loss, freshman Mark outscored his older brother, 18-14, in an 80-68 loss to Channel Islands. . . .
Quartz Hill guard Chris Young has paced the Rebels to a 5-0 start. The 6-foot senior has scored 30, 26, 26, 24 and 14 points for an average of 24 points a game. . . .
Village Christian’s 6-foot-7 center John Brown, seventh among area scorers last season, is having little trouble getting back into the flow of things. Brown averaged 31 points a game in the Crusaders’ first five games, including a 46-point effort in an overtime win over Salesian.
Thirteen Harvard players scored in a 113-38 victory over Glendale Academy and 11 Burroughs players scored in an 89-44 win over Murphy. Harvard scored 63 points in the first half of an 87-57 win over Moorpark.
Miscellaneous: Canyon point guard Lance Moore played 35 minutes, tied a school record with 14 assists and committed no turnovers in Canyon’s 84-83 overtime loss to Hart two weeks ago. The Cowboys enjoyed revenge on Monday night, thumping Hart, 89-65 in the Indians’ gym. . . .
Hart tied a 1968 school record by attempting 53 free throws in a 71-62 victory over Amador Valley, making 34 to break the previous mark of 33. . . .
Paraclete has been the beneficiary of a technical foul in each of its six games.
AREA BASKETBALL TOP 10 Selected by sportswriters of The Times
Last Rk Wk Team League Record 1 2 Granada Hills North Valley 6-1 2 1 Cleveland North Valley 4-2 3 10 Santa Clara Frontier 6-1 4 4 Notre Dame Golden 6-1 5 9 Royal Marmonte 4-1 6 5 Crespi Mission 3-1 7 3 Taft North Valley 4-2 8 NR Quartz Hill Golden 5-0 9 8 Thousand Oaks Marmonte 1-0 10 NR Canyon Golden 3-2