SANTA ANA : 2 Youths Charged in Alona Park Slaying

Murder charges were filed Thursday against two 17-year-old Santa Ana youths arrested last week in a Jan. 24 gang shoot-out at Alona Park that left one person dead and two wounded, police said.

The youths, both alleged gang members, were arrested last Friday after police were led to a motel room where they were staying, police spokeswoman Maureen Haacker said. They were both charged with conspiracy to commit murder. No arraignment has been scheduled.

According to Haacker, a patrol officer last Friday noticed a motorist driving erratically after leaving the Royal Roman Motel in the 1500 block of East 1st Street. The officer discovered that the car had been reported stolen and stopped it after a short pursuit.

The driver ran away, but the officer detained a passenger, who led police back to his room at the motel, Haacker said. Police found three males, including the two suspects, in the room.

Officers recognized the two youths as being wanted in the shooting, Haacker said. They were arrested and sent to Juvenile Hall in Orange, where they are being held.

Police also recovered a handgun in the motel, which they say was used in the shoot-out, Haacker said.

Nine people have been arrested in the shooting, Haacker said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
61°