Boy, 12, Gets Stuck in Home’s Chimney
A 12-year-old San Diego boy got stuck in the chimney when he forgot his keys and tried to enter his family’s home feet-first down the chimney Monday afternoon, San Diego police said.
The youngster, who lives in the 500 block of Maitland Avenue, became wedged in the chimney at 4:45 p.m., police Sgt. Ben Chu said.
After discovering that the boy was pinned, a neighbor rushed to the phone and called police, as well as the San Diego Fire Department.
The boy had slid down the chimney just low enough to be out of firefighters’ reach as they leaned down from the roof, fire Capt. Zeke Sanchez said. Another fireman was sent into the house, and he got in the fireplace and pushed the boy up 7 inches--just enough so the firefighters on the roof could reach in and pull him out, Sanchez said.
The youngster was “shaken but uninjured,” Chu said.