Helping the Needy at Christmas
Hundreds of organizations will be distributing toys, clothes and food to the needy and underprivileged throughout Los Angeles County this month. Here is a partial list:
* Pets will be given away to families during the Tailwagger Foundation / Mercy Crusade’s 42nd Annual Christmas “Bail Out Party” from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Monday, and from 8 a.m. to noon on Tuesday at all six City of Los Angeles Animal Care and Control Centers. All cost for impound, license, inoculations and spay / neuter fees will be picked up by the sponsoring organizations. For more information, call (213) 893-8400.
* The Union Station Foundation is sponsoring “Adopt-a-Meal” for the homeless in the Pasadena area. Groups or individuals are asked to bring a prepared evening meal and serve it to as many as 56 overnight shelter guests. Call (818) 449-4596.
* Mountain Gate Plaza in Simi Valley will be collecting clothing for the Salvation Army in the mall near the management office from noon to 4 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Canned food will be collected at the Santa Photo from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m Saturday and from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call (805) 522-5212.
* Through Sunday, the California Highway Patrol will be collecting toys at the Montebello Town Center, Puente Hills Mall in the City of Industry and Century City Plaza in Century City. Call the Public Affairs unit at (818) 240-8200
* The San Gabriel Valley Foster Parent’s Assn. will be collecting toys and canned food at the Montebello Town Center in front of the May Co. Call (213) 722-8454.
* The Commission on Social Concerns with the First A.M.E. Church, the Women’s Missionary Society and the FAME Skid Row Ministry are sponsoring a Christmas food, toy and book drive for 2,500 disadvantaged children. Receptacles are available in the church lobby, plaza level and entrance near the parking lot at 2270 S. Harvard Blvd. Call (213) 735-1251.