Woman Burned but Escapes Fire
A woman was hospitalized with second- and third-degree burns Saturday after an early morning electrical fire caused an estimated $70,000 in damage, authorities said.
The blaze broke out just before 5 a.m. in a bedroom on a second-floor apartment at 26571 Normandale Drive, apparently because of a frayed wire on an electric blanket, said Maria Sabol, spokeswoman for the Orange County Fire Department.
Apartment resident Nancy Gufstafson,48, escaped the apartment after calling fire officials, Sabol said.
“Her smoke detector went off and she woke up. . . . That smoke detector saved her life. She was very lucky,” Sabol said.
Gufstafson suffered second- and third-degree burns on her legs and was taken to a hospital, fire officials said. Her condition could not be determined late Saturday.
Thirty-five firefighters in five units put out the blaze in about 20 minutes. But the fire destroyed Gufstafson’s apartment and caused some smoke damage to apartments near it, Sabol said.