A 15-year-old boy died Thursday afternoon, the day after being shot in the head while standing with two friends on the front porch of his home, police said.
Saul Hector Lopez died at 4:45 p.m. at UCI Medical Center in Orange, Police Sgt. Dick Faust said. The boy was shot about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Two men had apparently walked up to the house in the 1100 block of West Cubbon Street and fired at Lopez and his friends, hitting only him. The attackers ran north and were last seen at the corner of West Cubbon and Shelton streets, Faust said.
Lopez’s death brought the number of slayings in the city this week to five. At least three have involved gangs but are not related, police said.
No arrests have been made in any of the slayings.
So far this year, there have been 25 homicides in the city, slightly more than the number of slayings that had occurred by the same time last year.