* GAME: No. 2 La Puente Bishop Amat (0-0) vs. No. 11 Carson (0-0).
* WHEN: Tonight at 7:30.
* WHERE: At Veterans Stadium.
* COACHES: Mark Paredes (Bishop Amat), eighth season; David Williams (Carson), first season.
* LAST MEETING: Bishop Amat defeated Carson, 14-10, last season. Paul Shay intercepted a Carson pass in his own end zone late in the game to end a Colt threat.
* AT STAKE: Bishop Amat is trying to repeat its 15-0 season, which included a 7-3 victory over Loyola in the Southern Section Division I championship. Carson, playing for its third coach in four years, is trying to regain prominence after two mediocre seasons.
* WHO TO WATCH: The running game is expected to be the strength for both teams. Bishop Amat is led by senior Rodney Sermons, who gained 1,475 yards and scored 21 touchdowns last year. All-State wide receiver Daylon McCutcheon also is expected to carry the ball quite a bit. The question for the Lancers is at quarterback, where Paredes has had trouble selecting a starter. Carson has several quality running backs, and will go with senior Tony Harvey at quarterback. Harvey played wide receiver last season, but as a sophomore quarterback he led the B team to a 10-0 record.
* WHAT TO EXPECT: Paredes said the Lancers are talented at the skill positions, but not on the lines. Carson had lots of talented players, but lacked discipline the past two seasons. Bishop Amat, one of the Southland’s best teams, usually makes it close. Still, a reorganized Carson could force a hard-hitting game.
* WHO’S ON THE HOT SEAT?: Williams, 38, who led the school’s B team to a 27-3 record the past three seasons, will be watched closely at Carson. Since veteran Gene Vollnogle retired in 1990, Carson has struggled with its coaches. Jim D’Amore and Marty Blankenship shared duties in 1991, and Blankenship was on his own last year. Blankenship quit and D’Amore has returned as an assistant.
* FOOTNOTE: There is no postseason game this season matching Southern Section and City Section major-division champions, so this contest will be one of the few opportunities for this kind of matchup.