Carbon Monoxide Fumes Kill 2, Injure 6 in Palmdale : Accident: Children die as deadly gas overcomes two families in house they shared.

From a Times Staff Writer

Two children died and six people were seriously injured Saturday when two families were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in a home they shared in Palmdale, authorities said.

The children, 6 months and 3 years old, were pronounced dead at the scene, said Charlotte Kramer, a dispatcher with the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Their parents, both 24, are in critical condition at Palmdale Hospital Medical Center, Kramer said.

In the second family, a 36-year-old man, his 42-year-old wife and their two children--a 6-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl--were hospitalized at Antelope Valley Hospital Medical Center in Lancaster. They were in stable condition, Kramer said.

Firefighters received a 911 call shortly before 7 p.m. from the second family, who complained of nausea and respiratory difficulties, Kramer said.

Southern California Gas Co. officials have determined that the fumes came from either a wall heater or the kitchen stove, said Kendall Morphis, a dispatcher in the utility company's Monterey Park offices.

Names of the victims were not released.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
57°