Advertisement

VENTURA : Keys Home Damaged by Electrical Blaze

An electrical fire destroyed part of a two-story house in the Ventura Keys neighborhood Monday, causing $80,000 worth of property and structural damage.

The blaze at 2928 Surfrider Ave. was discovered about 8:30 a.m. by a neighbor, Doris Olsen, who heard glass in a bay window shattering from the heat. Olsen said she then saw flames shooting out of the home’s front window.

By the time firefighters arrived, the first floor was fully involved. They sounded a second alarm and stopped the fire from spreading to the second floor. A total of 18 firefighters fought the blaze, which was caused by a short circuit in a wall plug and spread to a sofa in the living room.

The home is owned by Kevil Martin, who lives there with his son and daughter. None were home at the time.

Advertisement

Olsen and other neighbors rescued two dogs from the yard of the burning home, but two cats inside the house died and a kitten is still missing.

Fire officials estimated the blaze caused $40,000 in structure damage and $40,000 in property damage. Olsen said the second story suffered smoke damage and the roof was torn up as firefighters punched holes to ventilate the structure.


Advertisement
Advertisement