Fire at Feed Store Hay Barn Causes $200,000 Damage

SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

A fire swept through a hay barn at a feed and tack store Sunday morning, causing about $200,000 in damage to the building and its contents, firefighters said.

The blaze was the second in four years to start in the barn at DaMoor's Feed and Tack at 1532 Riverside Drive near the Golden State Freeway.

"We could stand a breather," said Roland Davis, whose family has owned the store for about eight years. "But it's just a setback. We've been through so much, nothing stops us."

Davis said the family also owns a horse boarding and training facility in Granada Hills that was threatened by a fire several years ago, but was spared.

In February, 1990, a fire caused more than $100,000 damage to the Glendale property.

On Sunday, the first company of firefighters arrived shortly after 7 a.m. to find the steel and wood barn fully engulfed in flames. Five companies of firefighters from Burbank and Glendale fire departments extinguished the fire in about 30 minutes, a Glendale Fire Department dispatcher said.

A firefighter was treated for minor burns at the scene.

No one else was hurt, but the family's 26-pound cat DaPurr that had lived at the store for several years died in the fire, Davis said. Two other cats were saved.

Davis said there were about 1,100 bales of grass hay inside the barn.

Late Sunday afternoon, with the smell of smoke still lingering in the air, Davis and several family members continued to sell hay from the driveway of the store.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
52°