Advertisement

Garage Blaze Causes $65,000 in Damage

Fire gutted a Simi Valley garage Thanksgiving Day, causing an estimated $65,000 damage, officials said.

The two-alarm fire on Leland Circle began at 11:48 a.m. Thursday, when a resident of the house heated cooking oil on a propane burner and left it unattended in the garage, said Pam Sears, a spokeswoman with the Ventura County Fire Department.

Five engines, one truck and two battalion chiefs responded and were able to bring the fire under control by 12:25 p.m., she said. At one point, the fire extended to the attic.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $45,000, while the damaged contents were worth $20,000, officials said. The homeowner was treated for a minor burn at the scene.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement