Runners take no holiday on July 4.
In fact, Independence Day is one of the busiest days of the year for Orange County runners, with events scheduled amid parades and fireworks in Anaheim, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest and Huntington Beach.
Planning a race on a busy holiday does have its advantages, according to one of Huntington Beach’s organizers.
“It’s really easier, because the streets are closed anyway for the parade,” said Karen Pedersen, chairwoman of a seven-member executive board appointed by the city to handle the event.
Dennis Ferguson, race director of the four-mile race in Lake Forest, says the glut of events on July 4 just makes the county field “more competitive. There’s so many people in that pie. You don’t see mass participation in any event.”
Volunteers play a key role in most of the holiday events. Pedersen said she sees people help out with the race, stay for the parade later that morning, then offer their services for the fireworks show that night.
“It’s become a tradition,” she said.
Here are details on each race:
* Anaheim Hills Firecracker 5K/10K. At Canyon High School, 220 S. Imperial Highway. Registration starts at 6:30 a.m. at Canyon. Race starts at 7:30. Cost to run is $17. For information: (714) 490-3855.
* Lake Forest 4 on the Fourth. Four-mile run or walk at Serrano Creek Park, 25101 Serrano Road. Registration starts at 6, with race at 7:30. Cost is $18 before July 3, $20 after. For information: (714) 858-7386.
* Run in the Parks, starts at Crown Valley Community Park. Registration starts at 6, with 10K at 7, 5K at 8:15 and children’s races at 9:30. Cost is $12-$20, $12-$22 on race day. For information: (714) 495-9622.
* Huntington Beach 5K, starts at Huntington Beach High, 1905 Main St. Registration starts at 6:30., with 5K at 8:10. Other races include a 5K stroller run and kids’ races. Cost is $18 for adults, $10 for kids. For information: (714) 374-1535.
* The Road Less Traveled, 10-mile trail run. Saturday at Carbon Canyon Regional Park, Brea. Run starts at 7 a.m., travels through Chico Hills State Park. Parking is limited at park. A shuttle service will be offered from 5:30 a.m. to 6:45 and from 8:45 to 10:30 at corner of Valencia and Imperial Highway. Cost is $25, and entries are limited to 600. No race-day registration. For information: (714) 848-4747.
* Newport 5000, a 5K run and walk. June 22 at Jamboree Road and Birch in Newport Beach. Races start with 5K for men and women 40 and over at 7:30 a.m., 5K walk at 7:40, 5K open run at 8:30 and 1K kids’ run at 9:30. Race benefits WIN Foundation to help battered women with children. Cost is $24, $19 for 5K walk and $12 for kids’ race. For information: (714) 476-7076.
* Bastille Day 5K and 8K. July 12 at Sutton Place Hotel in Newport Beach. Registration starts at 1 p.m. with 5K at 5:30 p.m. and 8K at 6. The event benefits the nonprofit Second Harvest Food Bank. Cost is $22 before July 5 for adults, $13 for kids. For information: (714)288-9080.
The Orange County Running Notebook appears regularly in the Orange County Edition. Information on upcoming races can be faxed to (714) 966-5663. Thursby can be reached at (714) 966-5858 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org