L.A. WATTS SUMMER GAMES
More than 13,000 athletes from San Francisco to Calexico will compete in 18 sports at various venues from Saturday to June 28. The Watts Games was born out of the chaos and strife of the 1965 Watts Riots with the goal of breaking down the barriers that divide young people of various ethnic, economic and geographic backgrounds. The area schools involved:
* BASEBALL: Van Nuys.
* BOYS’ BASKETBALL: Burbank, Burroughs, Camarillo, Chatsworth, Cleveland, Canoga Park, Fillmore, Grant, Kennedy, Quartz Hill, Reseda, Sylmar, Taft.
* GIRLS’ BASKETBALL: Channel Islands, Chatsworth, Crescenta Valley, North Hollywood, Reseda, Ventura.
* GOLF: Van Nuys.
* BOYS’ SOCCER: Agoura, Birmingham, Buena, Burroughs, Cleveland, Crespi, Flintridge Prep, El Camino Real, Fillmore, Highland, Hoover, La Canada, Monroe, Royal, Reseda, Rio Mesa, San Fernando, Sylmar, Ventura, Westlake.
* GIRLS’ SOCCER: Agoura, Calabasas, Hoover, Glendale, Verdugo Hills.
* SOFTBALL: Grant, Vasquez.
* BOYS’ TENNIS: Grant, Palmdale, San Fernando.
* GIRLS’ TENNIS: Grant, San Fernando.
* BOYS’ VOLLEYBALL: Channel Islands, Crescenta Valley, Palmdale, Royal, Taft, Village Christian.
* GIRLS’ VOLLEYBALL: Bell-Jeff, Birmingham, Buckley, Burroughs, Crescenta Valley, Hillcrest Christian, Poly, Notre Dame, Royal, Saugus, Sylmar, Village Christian.
* BOYS’ WATER POLO: Alemany, Calabasas.
* GIRLS’ WATER POLO: Alemany.
* WRESTLING: El Camino Real.