Dance Event to Aid Cancer Research
* Ventura County Jazzercize enthusiasts will dance to raise money for breast cancer research beginning at 8:30 a.m. today at the Thousand Oaks Community Center, 2525 N. Moorpark Road. Dancers will raise funds through pledges, with proceeds benefiting the Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center in Chicago. Information: 493-1802.
Temple Etz Chaim Plans Purim Carnival
* Temple Etz Chaim will host a Purim carnival from noon to 3 p.m. today at 1080 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks. There will be games, arts and crafts, food, pony rides and a costume contest. Proceeds from the purchase of game and activity tickets, and food sales, will benefit the temple’s youth programs. Free admission. Information: 494-3648.
Orders Being Accepted for Daffodil Days
* The American Cancer Society will sponsor its 14th annual Daffodil Days flower sale fund-raising campaign, with orders being accepted through Monday. Prices range from $10 for a small bouquet to $110 for an elaborate arrangement. Proceeds will benefit the society’s programs for cancer patients and their families, as well as public education and advocacy programs. To place an order, call a local cancer society office at 983-8864, 644-6656, 497-0114 or 527-5360.
Lions Club Organizing Annual Casino Night
* The Ventura Beach Lions Club will hold its sixth annual “Diamonds ‘n’ Dice” casino night fund-raiser from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday at the Wedgewood Banquet Center, 588 Olivas Park Drive, Ventura. There will be casino-style games, a silent auction and hors d’oeuvres. $25 in advance, $30 at the door. Information: 676-7726.
Jewish Family Service Fund-Raising Event
* Jewish Family Service of Ventura County will hold its second annual “Evening of Imagination” at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Temple Beth Torah, 7620 Foothill Road, Ventura. The evening will include dinner, entertainment and a silent auction. A magician, fortune teller, palm reader and caricaturist will be on hand. Proceeds will benefit Jewish Family Services counseling, legal and senior programs. $50. Reservations: 641-6565.
Beatrice Wood Vase Among Auction Items
* The Oak Grove School Auction Party will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Greek At the Harbor restaurant, at Ventura Harbor off Spinnaker Drive. Items up for bid will include a resort stay in Mexico, a ceramic vase made by Beatrice Wood and dance lessons. Proceeds will go toward the school’s financial aid program. $35. Tickets: 646-8236.
Moorpark High Dinner, Karaoke Night
* The Moorpark High School Chorus parent booster club will host a benefit spaghetti dinner and karaoke night from 6:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday at the school gym, 4500 Tierra Rejada Road. Dinner is $6 general, $3.50 children 10 and younger advance; $7 general, $4 children 10 and younger at the door. Karaoke is $3 per song. Tickets: 523-1575.
CROP Walk to Help Raise Money for Charity
* The 22nd annual Oxnard-Port Hueneme CROP Walk will begin at 1:30 p.m. March 7 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 755 Bard Road, Port Hueneme. Participants are asked to raise sponsorship money, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Port Hueneme-Oxnard Community Pantry, Meals on Wheels and the Bread of Life hot meal program. The CROP Walk, part of the Church World Service, also allows donations to be designated to other national agencies of various denominations. Information: 983-8111.
Fund-Raiser Exhibitors Invited to Sign Up
* Artists and crafters are invited to rent exhibit space for the upcoming Donna Fargo Memorial Craft-a-Rama, a fund-raiser for the Conejo Valley Historical Society. The 22nd annual craft show will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 7 at the Thousand Oaks Recreational Center, 2525 Moorpark Road. Exhibit spaces are $40 and $45, with proceeds supporting the society’s Stagecoach Inn Museum, Timber Schoolhouse, Tri-Village Complex and community educational programs. Information: 499-5600.
YMCA Kicks Off Fund-Raiser With Dinner
* The Camarillo Family YMCA will kick off its 1999 fund-raising campaign with its annual dinner at 6:30 p.m. March 10 at 816 Camarillo Springs Road, Suite H. $20. Reservation deadline is Wednesday. Call 484-0423.
Soroptimists Staging ‘Afraid of the Dark’
* Soroptimist International will present a benefit production of the comedy “Afraid of the Dark” March 12-14 at the Fillmore Memorial Building, 511 2nd St., Fillmore. Show times are 7:30 p.m. March 12 and 13, 2:30 p.m. March 14. Proceeds will benefit the Fillmore Historical Society, the Fillmore Volunteer Fire Department and the Fillmore Unified School District’s reading program. $10 general, $5 children 12 and younger. Information: 524-1850.
Tracing Fashion Through the Century
* The eighth annual Casa Pacifica Angels Fashion Show and Luncheon will be held at 11 a.m. March 13 at Las Posas Country Club, 955 Fairway Drive, Camarillo. The fashion show, “The Way We Were--A Century of Fashion,” will look at fashion over the years. $50. Information: 445-7800.
Conejo Park District to Hold Craft Festival
* The Conejo Recreation and Park District is registering vendors for its 12th annual Spring Art and Craft Festival on March 13 and 14 at the Borchard Community Center, 190 N. Reino Road, Newbury Park. Cost for vendor space is $75 for two days. Proceeds will support the center’s programs. Information: 381-2791.
Group to Hold 10K Walk to Fight Hunger
* The Greater Conejo Valley CROP Walk, a 10K event to fight local and world hunger, will begin at 1 p.m. March 14 at the Cal Lutheran University stadium, Campus Drive and Olsen Road, Thousand Oaks. Funds raised through sponsorships will go toward local agencies such as Westlake Village Meals on Wheels and the Manna food bank, as well as to Church World Service/CROP, which directs funds to international agencies. Information: 492-3674 or 778-9252.
Community Chest, a weekly listing of charitable fund-raising events, is compiled by Leo Smith. Please address items, with a publishable telephone number, to Community Chest, Los Angeles Times, 93 S. Chestnut St., Ventura 93001. Items can also be faxed to The Times at 653-7576 or 653-7548.