Beaches Reopen After Sewage Spill
Just in time for the Fourth of July weekend, health officials Thursday reopened most of the 25 miles of beaches that had been closed by a giant sewage spill.
Four miles of beach remained closed. The reopened beaches included popular tourist spots like Miami Beach’s South Beach and the beach at Bal Harbour.
The millions of gallons of sewage that spewed from a ruptured underwater pipe have been swept away by ocean currents, health officials said. Tests show the water is again safe, said Barbara Adkison of the Miami-Dade County Health Department.
The spill occurred June 20.