TOP 25 / COLLEGE BASKETBALL
No. School (Record) Comment
1. Duke (27-4) Dreaded top billing all but kills NCAA title hopes.
2. Michigan State (26-7) Team primed for another Magic moment?
3. Stanford (26-3) First-round field trip planned to nearby Samford.
4. Arizona (26-6) No. 1 in the West, but not out of the Woods.
5. Temple (26-5) Lafayette will be lucky to score 30 on Owls.
6. St. John’s (24-7) Team gets an NCAA escort into the tournament.
7. Iowa State (29-4) Cylcones still a drizzle to national media.
8. Cincinnati (28-3) If you’ve got something to prove, now’s the time.
9. Ohio State (22-6) Early Big Ten exit gave team what it needed . . . rest.
10. Louisiana State (26-5) LSU-SEMO box score could be used for DMV eye chart.
11. Tennessee (24-6) Team volunteers to drive Louisiana Lafayette back to airport.
12. Oklahoma (26-6) Sooners better not overlook tiny Winthrop.
13. Florida (24-7) Nothing to lose for team from Gainesville.
14. Oklahoma State (24-6) Team is OK as long as Gottlieb doesn’t shoot.
15. Texas (23-8) Mihm’s the word as Longhorns prepare for Indiana State.
17. Maryland (24-9) Have penciled in a second-round matchup with UCLA.
18. Tulsa (29-4) Would trade five of those W’s for a first-round win.
19. Kentucky (22-9) Don’t see a Kentucky reign this year.
20. Syracuse (24-5) One of nation’s best teams . . .on Dec. 20.
21. Connecticut (24-9) Dangerous Utah State matchup has Calhoun mixing his metaphors.
21. Illinois (21-9) You’re looking at a No. 1 seed this time next year.
22. Indiana (20-8) Get ready to get peppered by Pepperdine.
23. Fresno State (24-9) NCAA focus on St. John’s takes the heat off Tark.
24. Auburn (23-9) Was trip to SEC finals a second wind or a last gasp?
25. Gonzaga (24-8) Stockton sends team a sweatband for good luck.