Huntington Won't Pay Death Claim

TIMES STAFF WRITER

Huntington Beach city officials have rejected a $15-million claim against the Police Department over last month's controversial shooting of an 18-year-old farm worker.

A lawyer for the family of Antonio Saldivar, who was killed May 5, said Friday that he received a letter from the city notifying him of the rejection.

Attorney Timothy Black said Saldivar's family plans to file a civil suit against the city and the Police Department in the next two weeks.

Saldivar's death sparked protests outside Huntington Beach City Hall and strained relations between police and residents of the Oakview neighborhood where Saldivar was killed.

According to police, an officer shot Saldivar after seeing the teenager point what appeared to be a rifle at him on a dark street about 1:40 a.m. The rifle turned out to be a toy gun.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department and the FBI are conducting separate investigations into the shooting.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
61°