A North Hollywood man who allegedly shot and killed one neighbor and critically wounded another believed residents on his street were conspiring to kill him, police said Tuesday.
Steeve Burkle, 38, filed a police report in November 2001, claiming that half a dozen neighbors were attempting to kill him, possibly by poisoning, Det. Mike Coffey of the Los Angeles Police Department said.
Burkle allegedly fired 15 shots Monday afternoon from the second floor of the home he shared with his parents on the 6000 block of Fair Avenue, killing Hector L. Bisente, 67, and critically injuring his son, George Bisente, 38.
Burkle, who surrendered to police after a 3 1/2-hour standoff, is being held at the Van Nuys Jail. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Superior Court in Van Nuys.
Coffey said Burkle included the elder and younger Bisente in his police report. Police did not investigate Burkle's accusations, Coffey said.
Burkle's parents are on vacation in Jamaica and have yet to be contacted by police, Coffey said.
Neighbors said Burkle was rude but for the most part kept to himself. None knew of any prior dispute between Burkle and the Bisentes.
Mary Pringle, 86, who lives next door to Burkle, said she once considered moving because he played his music too loud and heckled her daughter. Pringle said she complained to police last month about the music but withdrew the complaint after talking with Burkle's father. "I thought everything was fine," she said. "And then this happens."
Pringle, who from her window saw a bleeding Hector Bisente lying in his driveway and his son calling out for help, spoke fondly of the Bisentes.
"You couldn't have nicer people as neighbors," she said.
Mary Ann Miller, Pringle's daughter, said the ordeal has been hard on her mother. Miller said her mother has not slept or eaten since the shooting.
"Every time she closes her eyes, she relives it," Miller said.
Times staff writer David Pierson contributed to this report.