Knicks, Brown settle before commissioner’s ruling
Larry Brown and the New York Knicks reached a settlement on the remainder of the fired coach’s contract Monday night, a week before NBA Commissioner David Stern was expected to rule on the dispute.
“At my request, the New York Knicks and Larry Brown have agreed to a compromise resolution of the dispute between them,” Stern said in a statement. “Neither the club nor Larry have any future obligation to each other and have assured me, in response to my direction and request, that there will be no further public discussion of the matter.”
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
Brown was fired in June after going 23-59 -- one of the worst seasons for the Hall of Fame coach and the franchise -- in the first year of a five-year contract worth $50 million. Madison Square Garden Chairman James Dolan withheld payment of the rest of the deal, saying the Knicks had cause because the coach violated terms of his contract, which had about $40 million remaining.
A clause in Brown’s contract made Stern the final arbiter in case of any disputes -- the first time Dolan gave such a stipulation to a coach, he said.
Brown and the Knicks testified for more than 15 hours before Stern this month, and the commissioner said last week that he expected to make a ruling during the week of Nov. 6.
Meanwhile, Jalen Rose, a 33-year-old swingman scheduled to make $16.9 million this season, was waived by the Knicks.
Rose averaged 12.7 points in 26 games for the Knicks last season after being acquired in a February trade with Toronto.
The Knicks also waived forward Maurice Taylor during the preseason.
San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker sprained his right ankle in practice and is questionable for Thursday’s opener against Dallas, the team said.
Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut, expected to be sidelined six to eight weeks after spraining his lower left leg Oct. 7, is expected to start the opener Wednesday at Detroit.
Hooman Hamzehloui, the fan who reportedly directed a racial slur at Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo during Thursday’s exhibition game, was banned for the season by the NBA and Orlando Magic.
The league said Hamzehloui is also barred from attending games at any NBA arena.
Hamzehloui sent Mutombo a letter of apology, which was obtained by the Associated Press. In it, he promised $5,000 to the charity of Mutombo’s choice and vowed not to attend any games until the center gave his blessing.
NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the matter was closed.
The Seattle SuperSonics and point guard Luke Ridnour reached agreement on a multiyear contract extension, the team said.
Terms were not disclosed.
Ridnour, a fourth-year point guard who averaged 11.5 points and 7.0 assists last season, would have become a restricted free agent after this season without the extension.
The New Orleans Hornets signed forward David West to a multiyear contract extension, keeping their leading scorer from becoming a restricted free agent after the season.
Terms were not disclosed.
West finished second in voting for the NBA’s most improved player last season after averaging 17.1 points and 7.4 rebounds to lead the Hornets in both categories.
Veteran forward Darvin Ham was waived by the New Jersey Nets.... The Chicago Bulls waived center Luke Schenscher.