Advertisement

Charcoal grills belong outdoors

A woman and her two teenage children were treated for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday after they tried to warm themselves with a charcoal barbecue grill in their home.

Firefighters found the 40-year-old woman semiconscious about 2 a.m. when they were called to her home in the 16600 block of Orizaba Avenue, said Capt. Steve Powell of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

She was taken to a hospital, along with her 18-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son, who were alert but dizzy from breathing excessive carbon monoxide, said Inspector Ron Haralson of the county Fire Department.

Firefighters found the grill -- described as slightly larger than a Hibachi-style grill -- in the living room, and the carbon monoxide level was nearly four times the danger threshold, Powell said.

Advertisement

The rented house was not well ventilated and did not have smoke detectors, Haralson said.

-- James Wagner


Advertisement
Advertisement