Venomous snake bites employee at San Diego Zoo
A venomous snake bit a San Diego Zoo employee Monday afternoon, and paramedics took the staffer to a hospital.
About 2 p.m., an African bush viper bit a wildlife care specialist who was caring for the reptile outside of the public area, zoo spokesperson Andrew James said.
“Although the San Diego Zoo cares for a number of venomous reptiles, incidents like this are very rare, and the snake was contained at all times with no risk of an escape,” he said in a statement.
As is protocol, he said, the staffer was immediately taken to the hospital, by San Diego Fire-Rescue paramedics, for evaluation and medical care.
Figueroa writes for the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The perils of parenting through a pandemic
What’s going on with school? What do kids need? Get 8 to 3, a newsletter dedicated to the questions that keep California families up at night.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.