Advertisement
Television

Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers shows to suspend production amid coronavirus concerns

Seth Meyers
Host Seth Meyers at his desk on “Late Night With Seth Meyers.”
(Lloyd Bishop / NBC)

In one of the more significant moves in late-night TV this week, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and “Late Night With Seth Meyers” will now go dark next week and remain so through at least the end of the month, NBC said Thursday.

The decision, which comes as Hollywood grapples with concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, reflects a shift from Wednesday’s announcement that the two shows, along with a number of other New York-based programs, would begin taping without live audiences starting on Monday. Los Angeles-based talk shows “The Late Late Show With James Corden” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” announced similar measures on Thursday.

Both “The Tonight Show” and “Late Night” will suspend production beginning Friday. They were already scheduled to go on hiatus the week of March 23. The earliest a new episode could be taped would be March 30 — but no decision has been made about when production will resume. NBC said it will continue to monitor the situation closely in determining when to shoot future episodes.

CBS’ “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” also changed course on Thursday, taping without an audience days earlier than planned after the news that Broadway would go dark at 5 p.m. EST. In a statement, the network said that production on three episodes set to air next week has been postponed, leading into a previously scheduled hiatus. “The Late Show” plans to return March 30.


Newsletter
Get our daily Entertainment newsletter

Get the day's top stories on Hollywood, film, television, music, arts, culture and more.

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.
Advertisement