‘Scandal’ star Columbus Short hit with divorce, restraining order
The estranged wife of “Scandal” star Columbus Short has filed for divorce, according to reports out Thursday, and the drama unfolding makes it sound as if the gladiator might soon need a professional fixer of his own.
Tuere Tanee Short filed for the split Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court and was also granted a temporary restraining order against the actor, according to court documents obtained by People.
Tanee Short, who married the “Scandal” star in July 2005 and separated from him April 7, cited irreconcilable differences and requested full legal and physical custody of the couple’s 2-year-old daughter, Ayala, the mag reported.
The filing comes amid a slew of domestic violence accusations and just a month after the 31-year-old was arrested in connection with a bar fight that allegedly occurred after a man badmouthed the actor’s spouse.
The latest of their marital woes: Short was reportedly thrown out of his house after allegedly putting a knife to his wife’s throat and threatening to kill her and himself.
The restraining order, obtained by TMZ and E! News, revealed sordid details of an April 7 altercation that alleged Short was drunk and enlisted his wife in a violent game of “Truth for Truth,” accused her of having an affair and threatened to slash her tires.
The order also required the actor to move out of their Chatsworth home, a process that was supervised by police on Thursday, TMZ said.
A hearing will be held May 6 to address whether the restraining order would be made permanent, E! News said.
Short was confronted with his personal drama during his “New One Now” interview with Roland Martin on Thursday, just ahead of the Season 3 finale of “Scandal” airing on ABC hours later.
“We have some amazing scriptwriters,” he replied with a chuckle when Martin brought up his legal problems. “It’s -- life -- life has the best scriptwriters of all time. That’s all I can say about that. But I’m still here. I’m standing. I’m talking. Let’s go.”
“I don’t mean to laugh but it read outlandish and it sounds even more outlandish coming out of your mouth,” he continued.
While Short deflected the remarkable accusations and didn’t seem completely present in the interview, he ultimately told Martin: “Don’t believe everything you read.”
It’s not the first time his estranged wife, whose maiden name is McCall, has filed for divorce, either: She filed papers in 2012, but dismissed the petition earlier this year, the Associated Press reported.
The “Scandal” star, who appeared in “Cadillac Records” and is also a recording artist, has previously been charged with criminal domestic violence and child abuse while his wife, their daughter and his other son were in the house, TMZ reported.
In February, Short pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor spousal battery, and at a March 5 hearing he was ordered to stay away from his wife.
Follow Ministry of Gossip @LATcelebs.
Inside the business of entertainment
The Wide Shot brings you news, analysis and insights on everything from streaming wars to production — and what it all means for the future.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.