Entertainment & Arts

Cory Monteith’s death ruled accidental; heroin-alcohol mix blamed

Cory Monteith’s death has been ruled accidental -- that according to the final coroner’s report released Wednesday by Canadian authorities in Vancouver, B.C., where the “Glee” star was found dead July 13.

Monteith died of “intravenous heroin use in combination with ingestion of alcohol,” according to the report. 

The 31-year-old was found collapsed on the floor in a room at the Pacific Rim Hotel, the report detailed, where investigators found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, the report said. Also on hand were two empty Champagne bottles and multiple glasses. The actor had a blood alcohol level of 0.13%.

The coroner noted that after a period off heroin, a previously tolerated dose could prove fatal. Monteith had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, and had recently finished a stint in rehab.


Surveillance footage showed Monteith returning to his room at 2:16 a.m. the day he died. He was found later in the day when he failed to check out on time.


Casey Kasem’s children stage protest in effort to see ailing dad

Kimberly Perry of the Band Perry engaged to MLB’s J.P. Arencibia


Kim Kardashian’s love affair with Givenchy (and cleavage) continues

Follow Christie D’Zurilla on Twitter and Google+. Follow the Ministry of Gossip on Twitter @LATcelebs and on Facebook


Get our daily Entertainment newsletter