Ex-Beach Boy Blondie Chaplin joins Brian Wilson-Jeff Beck shows
Brian Wilson’s impending tour with English guitar hero Jeff Beck already includes two other founding members of the Beach Boys -- Al Jardine and David Marks -- and now for at least five of the dates Wilson will be joined by another former Beach Boy, guitarist-singer Blondie Chaplin.
Chaplin, who joined the quintessential Southern California fun-in-the-sun band briefly in the early-1970s, will be part of Wilson’s performances in Hollywood, Fla., New York City, Las Vegas, Oakland and the hometown show Oct. 20 at Los Angeles’ Greek Theatre.
“Blondie was one of my favorite singers in the ‘70s,” Wilson, 71, told Pop & Hiss through a spokesman. “He blew my mind with [his vocal on] ‘Sail on Sailor’ and he also sang on a song called ‘Funky Pretty,’ on the Beach Boys’ Holland album.
“Until two weeks ago, I hadn’t seen him since 1974,” said Wilson, who reconnected with Chaplin to have him sing on Wilson’s next solo album, currently in the works. “It was great to see him again. He came into the studio and sang on one of my new tracks called ‘He Come Down’ -- he sang it great! It will be fun to have him at a few of our concerts.”
Chaplin and drummer Ricky Fataar, both South Africans who had played in the group the Flame, which was the only act other than the Beach Boys ever signed to the group’s Brother Records label, appeared on the “Holland” album in 1973 as well as its immediate predecessor, 1972’s “Carl & the Passions/So Tough.” Both were official members of the lineup at that time and also performed on the show captured on the 1973 live album “The Beach Boys in Concert.”
“It’s a pleasure to sing on ‘Sail on Sailor’ once again with Brian,” Chaplin, 62, said.
Wilson is splitting the bill on this tour with Beck, who also has been contributing to the Beach Boys creative leader’s solo album. Each artist gives separate performances, but also join one another during their respective sets, and then combine forces for additional segments during the evening. The tour opens Sept. 27 in Hollywood, Fla.
The upcoming tour follows last year’s 50th anniversary Beach Boys reunion tour featuring original members Wilson, Jardine, Marks and Mike Love and longtime member Bruce Johnston. In an acrimonious end to that outing, Love announced he would resume touring with his pre-anniversary Beach Boys lineup minus Wilson, Jardine and Marks.
Many media outlets framed the announcement as Love’s firing of Wilson, but both men said that was not the case. Wilson, however, said he was disappointed in not being able to continue recording and touring this year with his former band mates.
Wilson’s new solo album is expected to be released next year.
Follow Randy Lewis on Twitter: @RandyLewis2
Inside the business of entertainment
The Wide Shot brings you news, analysis and insights on everything from streaming wars to production — and what it all means for the future.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.