‘Erratic’ Chihuahua named Jack Sparrow tests positive for meth
A pet Chihuahua tested positive for methamphetamine after his owner took him to a clinic because he was acting erratically, Fontana police said.
Jack Sparrow, a tan-coated Chihuahua, had been exhibiting “erratic behavior,” so his owner, Isaiah Nathaniel Sais, took him to the Inland Valley Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Center in Upland on July 5, according to the Fontana Police Department.
Sais told veterinarians that he thought his dog had ingested methamphetamine.
They took a urine sample from Jack, and it tested positive for the illegal drug. Doctors had watched as the small dog suffered convulsions and seizures. They believed his “life was in jeopardy,” police said.
After veterinarians told Sais about Jack’s condition, he left with the pet.
Animal control officers were notified and went to Sais’ home in the 10400 block of Hemlock Avenue in Fontana.
“At the residence, animal service officers observed Jack still suffering from the effects of the drug and other signs of general neglect,” the police department said.
Officers took the dog and readmitted him into the clinic for additional care.
On Friday afternoon, Sais was arrested in Rancho Cucamonga on a felony warrant in connection with animal cruelty, police said.
As for Jack, he is still twitchy and agitated, officials said.
Once he fully recovers, the Chihuahua will be taken to a temporary foster home.
“Currently, Jack is hypersensitive to noise and sudden movement, but he is expected to recover in time,” the police department said.
MORE LOCAL NEWS
For breaking news in California, follow VeronicaRochaLA on Twitter.
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.