Two of three men shot to death in a Compton park are officially identified
Two of the three people shot to death at a Compton park earlier this week were officially identified Thursday as a 21-year-old homeless man and a 22-year-old man who lived near the area.
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office said Juan Lara, of Compton, and Andrew Moreno, who was homeless, were among the three killed at Raymond Street Park. The third victim’s identity has yet to be released.
The bodies of the men were found sometime before 11 p.m. Tuesday inside a small utility room connected to two bathrooms at the park, authorities have said.
At least one of the men appeared to be living in the room where they were found, investigators said. Bullet casings littered the floor along with clothing and other personal belongings.
The park is part of Richland Farms, a 10-square-block, semi-rural community in Compton where residents own 1- or 2-acre properties and keep animals such as chickens and goats.
She said detectives had notified her privately that her son was among those killed.
As investigators combed the scene Wednesday, a woman ran toward the park crying, hoping to find out if one of the victims was her boyfriend. She told the deputies that she had just seen a video online of the woman who discovered the bodies and mentioned the name of one of the victims.
“I just heard ‘Andrew’ and stopped watching,” she told a deputy.
“He’s my boyfriend,” she said. “He has a tattoo of my name on his arm.”
The deputy listened.
“He’s always here, always in that little shed. He sleeps there sometimes,” she said, crying.
Anyone with information about the slayings is asked to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
Times staff writer Jack Leonard contributed to this report.
MORE LOCAL NEWS
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.