No felony charge for Justin Bieber in alleged cellphone snatching
Justin Bieber won’t face felony charges in connection with accusations by a woman that he took her cellphone at a miniature golf course, prosecutors said Thursday.
A spokeswoman for the L.A. County district attorney’s office said the allegation did not warrant a felony and would be referred to the city attorney for a decision on whether Bieber should be charged with a misdemeanor.
The woman alleged she was with her 13-year-old daughter at the Oaks Castle Park miniature golf course in Sherman Oaks on May 12 when Bieber accused her of recording him with her cellphone.
She told detectives she had already put her phone in her purse after Bieber’s security guard said no pictures. But she accused the pop star of reaching into her purse and trying to pull the phone out anyway.
The woman said she never let go of the phone as they struggled for control of it. After she promised to show him that she hadn’t been recording, he allegedly released the phone and she displayed the screen.
She told police detectives that Bieber said: “Why don’t you leave, you’re embarrassing your daughter.” The woman said at that point her daughter started to cry and they left. The woman then called TMZ.com the next day and filed a police report.
Detectives verified the woman’s account with her daughter, who, however, added that she had been crying with excitement at seeing Bieber, according to the district attorney’s report.
Bieber refused to be interviewed through his attorney. Security cameras at the facility did not capture the incident and so far no one has come forward with any other evidence, prosecutors wrote.
Nine employees of the facility were interviewed and none saw Bieber grab the phone as the woman alleged, or have any physical altercation.
Bieber has had a series of run-ins with law enforcement authorities this year. In February, Los Angeles County sheriff’s detectives investigated Bieber in a felony vandalism case after he was accused by a neighbor of egging a home in Calabasas.
The egging in the 25000 block of Prado Del Grandioso was considered a possible felony because damage totaled $20,000, authorities said. Through his attorney, Bieber denied any wrongdoing in the matter.
For news on regional crimes and court cases, follow @lacrimes.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.