1 dead, 3 ill in possible carbon monoxide poisoning at Koreatown apartment complex
One person was found dead and three others fell ill at a Koreatown apartment complex Thursday evening in what authorities believe to be a case of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.
Hazardous materials crews searched each of the 48 units in the four-story building at 920 South Hobart Blvd., where in some areas they found elevated levels of carbon monoxide, said Brian Humphrey, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department.
“It’s a silent killer,” Humphrey said, adding that the 90-year-old building was evacuated as crews turned off utilities and blew fresh air through the structure.
Crews were called to the complex shortly before 6 p.m. During the search, they used hand-held sensing equipment. Some units were empty and authorities had to force their way in.
No other victims were found in the search, but fire crews said a second person had been found dead recently in the complex. It’s unclear if the previous incident is related.
The three people who were sickened were taken to a hospital for treatment and tests.
Humphrey advised residents to never use a generator indoors, get heating equipment and appliances checked regularly, and make sure their carbon monoxide alarms work.
The view from Sacramento
For reporting and exclusive analysis from bureau chief John Myers, get our California Politics newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.