LADWP worker shocked with 4,800 volts of electricity
A Los Angeles Department of Water and Power worker was critically injured Thursday after he was shocked with 4,800 volts of electricity while working on an overhead power line at a home in Encino, officials said.
Firefighters found the worker on the ground about 11:29 a.m. in the 17000 block of Rancho Street and took him to an area hospital, LAFD spokesman Erik Scott said.
No further details were released about his condition, but the mayor’s Crisis Response Team was called to the scene to offer aid to other DWP employees at the scene, he said.
The employee had been working on the power lines when he made contact with electrical wires, according to a statement from the utility.
“We ask for prayers for our injured crew member this afternoon,” the DWP said.
As a result of the incident, 460 customers were without power, officials reported. They expected power to be restored later in the afternoon.
For breaking news in Los Angeles and throughout California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA. She can be reached at email@example.com.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.