Man suffers ‘head to toe’ burns in propane explosion
A 40-year-old man delivering propane to a metal business in Boyle Heights suffered burns to his entire body Tuesday during a sudden flashover explosion.
The man was pumping propane from his truck into a tank at Ekco Metals near the 1700 block of Perrino Place when there was an explosion that resulted in a fireball that burned him “from head to toe,” LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey said.
The man, who works for an energy company, was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he is “fighting for his life,” Humphrey said.
“We are hopeful for his survival,” he said.
The flashover ignited a small blaze, but it was quickly extinguished.
Firefighters believe gas from the truck or tank possibly set off the explosion, Humphrey said.
The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health plans to investigate the incident.
Get Group Therapy
Life is stressful. Our weekly mental wellness newsletter can help.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.