Suspect in Pacific Palisades standoff is dead, police say

A gunman who fired several rounds at a woman during a domestic quarrel and then traded gunfire with Los Angeles police was found dead Thursday in a sprawling home in the Pacific Palisades.

The discovery of the man’s body ended an hours-long standoff in which police fired numerous rounds of tear gas into the two-story Mediterranean style home.

The man, who has not yet been identified, was found on the second floor, LAPD Lt. Chris Ramirez told reporters at the scene. Ramirez said investigators have yet to determine whether he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound or from rounds fired by officers.

The initial call came in as an assault with a deadly weapon in the 1600 block of Alta Mura Road around 10:50 p.m. Wednesday, according to police.


LAPD Capt. Brian Wendling said that the gunman had been arguing with a woman who lived at the residence, and that the two were in an on-again, off-again relationship. The man had fired several rounds at the woman, but she escaped unharmed, he said.

Once officers arrived they met with a private security agent who told them the suspect had barricaded himself inside. Police then set up a perimeter around the house and called in a SWAT team, said Officer Drake Madison, an LAPD spokesman.

Crisis negotiators tried to speak to the suspect but he refused to leave the house, police told reporters at the scene.

During the standoff, SWAT officers fired tear gas into the house.

“We have deployed several rounds of tear gas because of the enormous size of the home, we’re talking about 9,000 square feet,” Madison said.

The man, who was described as being in his 50s and had possibly been drinking, shot at officers shortly after 5 a.m., and police returned fire, police said. No officers were injured. .

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Reach Sonali Kohli at or on Twitter @Sonali_Kohli.


Two arrested and six police cars vandalized with slashed tires, smashed windows in Nickerson Gardens clash

Man charged with murdering brother of L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas in 1981

Arrest made in torture of two huskies, disappearance of third dog in Oceanside

L.A. to pay nearly $1 million to family of man who died after police officers arrested him


1:10 p.m.: This article was updated with additional details.

12:15 p.m.: This article was updated with details about the standoff.

11 a.m.: This article was updated with details on the suspect’s death.

8:45 a.m.: This article was updated with details of shots fired between the suspect and police.

This article was originally published at 6:50 a.m.