A 19-year-old man was sentenced to one year in county jail and five years of formal probation after he was convicted of participating in a street race that resulted in the death of two people, prosecutors said.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Gary J. Ferrari also ordered Carlos Hernandez to participate in a hospital and morgue program and attend classes that address the consequences of reckless driving, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office announced Monday.
Hernandez and Elexis Garcia were street racing on Pacific Coast Highway in Wilmington on Jan. 29, 2015, when Hernandez’s truck suddenly moved sideways in the direction of Garcia’s lane as her car was catching up, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Brian Kang, who prosecuted the case.
Garcia, 18, lost control of her car and veered into oncoming traffic, prosecutors said. She had three passengers in her car, including her brother and two friends.
Garcia and her brother died in the crash, and her two other passengers suffered serious injuries, Kang said.
Hernandez pleaded no contest to three felony counts, including two counts of reckless driving on a highway causing a specified injury and one count of vehicular manslaughter, earlier this month.
A restitution hearing is scheduled for July 27 in Long Beach.
For more local and breaking news, follow me on Twitter: @sarahparvini