Connecticut school shooting suspect now identified as Adam Lanza
Officials have corrected the identity of the gunman in Friday’s deadly shooting at an elementary school in suburban Connecticut, saying the suspect was Adam Lanza and not his brother, Ryan.
Earlier, law enforcement sources said that it was Ryan Lanza, 24, who was the gunman whose body was found in the Sandy Hook Elementary School, about 65 miles northeast of New York City. The Times, citing unnamed sources, was among media outlets that previously reported that Ryan was the suspect.
Ryan Lanza is alive and is being questioned by authorities, sources said.
Adam Lanza, 20, entered the school where his mother worked with kindergartners and opened fire.
“There’s been a lot of miscommunication on this and we need to correct that,” an FBI source said.
According to Connecticut State Police, the gunman killed 20 children, 18 of whom were pronounced dead at the school. Six adults were also shot to death. The gunman apparently killed himself.
Another body was found at what police described as a “secondary crime scene,” bringing the total to 28 bodies.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.