LeBron James says the Heat’s pregame dunk routine will continue
LeBron James and the Miami Heat’s dunk routine during warmups will continue.
So said the high-flying All-Star forward, who has received much criticism for never entering the NBA’s dunk contest during All-Star weekend.
“I don’t do it for anybody besides our team,” James said Thursday. “We came up with something and said, ‘Let’s get warmed up even more.’ Actually, [Mario Chalmers] was the one who really started it. He said, ‘Let’s get hype, let’s get up.’ We’re happy that our fans love it. We’re going to continue to do it. It’s something that we enjoy.”
Heat players participating in the dunk show include James, Chalmers, Ray Allen, Chris Andersen, Norris Cole and Mike Miller.
After a fan posted online a video of James’ dunking in warmups Sunday, it became a YouTube hit and suddenly a controversy began. Heat Coach Erik Spoelstra quickly shrugged off suggestions that players could get injured as “absurd.”
“I’ve been criticized for everything, said James, who joked earlier this week that the dunk show might be discontinued. “It doesn’t matter to me. That is a small thing on my agenda. I’m getting criticized for what I do in warmups? Stop.”
Let the pregame dunking continue! Now, about the All-Star dunk contest, LeBron?
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.