In its ruling, the organization said it had determined that the five-time Grand Slam champion hadn’t taken meldonium with the intention of cheating, but that nonetheless she "does bear sole responsibility for the contravention, and very significant fault."
Sharapova, 29, has said she first was prescribed the drug for medical reasons in 2006 and that she did not realize it had been banned by the
But the ITF said in its ruling that Sharapova concealed her used of the substance rather than seeking advice from anti-doping authorities, doctors or others.
"She is the sole author of her own misforture," the ruling stated.
In a statement released on Facebook later Wednesday morning, Sharapova accepted responsibility for the positive doping test but stated that the length of the punishment was excessive. She could have been banned for up to four years.
“While the tribunal concluded correctly that I did not intentionally violate the anti-doping rules, I cannot accept an unfairly harsh two-year suspension,” she wrote. “The tribunal, whose members were selected by the ITF, agreed that I did not do anything intentionally wrong, yet they seek to keep me from playing tennis for two years.”
The former world No. 1 player added that she will immediately appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
“I intend to stand for what I believe is right and that’s why I will fight to be back on the tennis court as soon as possible,” she said.
Sharapova was provisionally suspended by the ITF in March, when the positive test was made public. Her case was heard by a three-person panel. Sharapova’s lawyer, John Haggerty, said she spoke at the hearing.
MORE SPORTS NEWS