Jennifer Capriati won’t have to face battery and stalking charges
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Former tennis star Jennifer Capriati won’t have to face battery and stalking charges stemming from a 2013 confrontation with an ex-boyfriend under an agreement announced Monday.
Mike Edmondson, spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney’s office, said the charges were dropped in exchange for Capriati’s completion of 30 hours of community service and four hours of anger management counseling.
Court documents show Capriati attended the anger management sessions last week and did her community service at Florida Hospital Pepin Heart Institute in Tampa. The charges are misdemeanors.
“Those are standard conditions for a deferred prosecution,” Edmondson said.
Capriati, 37, had been accused of punching former boyfriend Ivan Brannan at a North Palm Beach gym last Valentine’s Day and of stalking him for months before that. One of Brannan’s co-workers told police that Capriati had tried to enter a locked door at the business and sometimes called up to 50 times a day.
A professional at age 13, Capriati is an International Tennis Hall of Fame member who was a gold medalist at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. He career was interrupted in the mid-1990s after her arrest on shoplifting and marijuana charges, but she returned to win the French and Australian opens. In all, Capriati won 14 singles tournaments. Capriati’s attorney did not immediately return an email message seeking comment.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.