Tiger Woods pulls out of the PGA Championship, won’t compete for the rest of this season
Tiger Woods will miss all four major championships in a single year for the first time in his career.
The former world No. 1 golfer has withdrawn from the PGA Championship, the event announced Tuesday morning. He will be replaced in the field by Harold Varner III.
In an email to the Golf Channel, Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg said the star golfer was going to miss the rest of the season as he continues to recover from multiple back operations.
“Continuing to make progress, but simply not ready for PGA,” Steinberg wrote of Woods. “Will not play in the ’15/'16 season and will continue to rehab and work hard to then assess when he starts play for the ’16/'17 season.”
Woods hasn’t played since tying for 10th place at the Wyndham Championship last August. He has said he will let his body dictate when he returns to competition.
Back in June, Woods said he’d been able to play 18 holes on consecutive days but still needed to get back into golf shape. He withdrew from last weekend’s British Open, which this year is just two weeks before the PGA Championship.
“It’s not fun. It’s a tough road,” Woods said late last month at the Quicken Loans National. “I know I’m getting better, I’m progressing, but still I’m just not quite ready to be out here. ... I know I can play with these guys. I know I still can. I just need to get healthy enough where I can do it on a regular basis.”
11:00 a.m.: This article has been updated with a quote from Mark Steinberg.
This article was originally published at 10:50 a.m.
Go beyond the scoreboard
Get the latest on L.A.'s teams in the daily Sports Report newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.