Vegas and California among summer travel study’s hottest hits
Orbitz flipped through its summer travel data for some insights on what’s hot, and what’s hotter, as Labor Day approaches. Among the findings of the online travel agency’s Insider Index:
- California is home to two of the five most popular Labor Day destinations. In order, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Diego and New York lead all other cities (based on flight bookings).
- California, Florida and Texas were the summer’s most visited states, with low fuel prices getting some of the credit.
- Two other Western destinations, Portland and Reno, are seeing rapid gains in popularity.
- Bookings in Barcelona and Athens have spiked dramatically, indicating folks may be planning longer Labor Day weekends to accommodate international getaways.
- Airfare prices to Rio for the Summer Games averaged $1,300.
- Travelers from Florida, California and New York led all states in travel to the Games, accounting for 55% of tickets sold on Orbitz.com.
Get inspired to get away.
Explore California, the West and beyond with the weekly Escapes newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.