Advertisement

Controversial Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam won’t seek a second term

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam
Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said at a news conference Monday that she would not seek a second term.
(Vincent Yu / Pool Photo)
Share

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced Monday that she would not seek a second term, after a rocky five years marked by huge protests calling for her resignation, a security crackdown that has quashed dissent and most recently a COVID-19 wave that overwhelmed the health system.

Her successor will be picked in May, with the city’s hard-line security chief during the 2019 protests seen as a likely choice.

“I will complete my five-year term as chief executive on the 30th of June this year, and I will also call an end to my 42 years of public service,” Lam, 64, said at a news conference. She thanked her team of local officials and the central authorities in Beijing, to whom she reported, and said she planned to spend more time with family, which is her “sole consideration.”

Advertisement

Speculation had swirled for months about whether she would seek another term, but she said that her decision had been conveyed to the central government in Beijing last year and was met with “respect and understanding.”

“Less than two years into my chief executive term, because of the anti-extradition bill and because of interference from foreign forces and also the attack of COVID-19, I was under great pressure,” Lam said. “However, the motivation for me to press on was the very staunch support behind me by the central authorities.”

She presided over a period in which Beijing firmly established control over the former British colony, which was handed back to China in 1997. For years, the city rocked back and forth between calls for more freedom and signs of China’s growing authoritarian reach, even though Hong Kong was promised 50 years of relative autonomy in the handover agreement.

Outbreaks in Hong Kong and mainland China are testing the limits of a zero-tolerance COVID-19 policy.

March 17, 2022

Lam’s popularity sharply declined over her five-year term, particularly over legislation that would have allowed crime suspects to be extradited to mainland China for trial and over the protests that followed. The mass demonstrations were marked at times by violent clashes between police and protesters. Authorities insisted that foreign interference was fueling the movement, while protesters denounced police actions as excessive and said the violence and sedition claims were attempts to undermine the pro-democracy cause.

Lam also strongly supported the national security law that Beijing imposed on the city in 2020, which critics say has severely eroded the post-handover “one country, two systems” framework that was supposed to preserve freedoms not found in mainland China, such as a free press and freedom of expression.

Advertisement

The security law and other police and court actions in the years since have virtually erased the city’s pro-democracy movement, with activists and the movement’s supporters either arrested or jailed. Others have fled into exile. Lam and the central government in Beijing say their actions have restored stability in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong media say the city’s No. 2 leader, Chief Secretary John Lee, is likely to enter the race to succeed Lam. Lee was the city’s head of security during the 2019 protests and is known for his support for the police force during the protests and his tough stance against demonstrators.

Low turnout was expected as Hong Kong voted in the first election since Beijing amended the laws to reduce the number of directly elected lawmakers.

Dec. 19, 2021

Hong Kong’s leader is elected by a committee made up of lawmakers, representatives of various industries and professions, and pro-Beijing representatives such as Hong Kong’s delegates in mainland China’s rubber-stamp legislature. One of the unfulfilled demands of the 2019 protests was direct election of the city’s chief executive.

The election for chief executive had been set for March 27 but was postponed until May 8 as the city endures its worst coronavirus outbreak of the pandemic.

Lam said that holding the polls as originally scheduled would pose “public health risks” even though only a committee of 1,462 people is involved.

Hong Kong has reported nearly 1.2 million coronavirus cases, 99% of them during the fifth wave driven by the highly transmissible Omicron variant. It has strained the healthcare system, with hospitals at times placing patients on beds outdoors. More than 8,000 people have died in the latest outbreak, and mortuaries operating at capacity have used refrigerated containers to temporarily store bodies.

Lam’s government has been widely criticized for flip-flopping on policies, including mixed messaging in February and March on whether a lockdown and compulsory mass testing would be implemented. The uncertainty sparked panic among residents, who cleared out store shelves to hoard daily necessities.

The plans for compulsory mass testing were dropped, and Lam last week urged all residents to test themselves with rapid antigen kits from April 8 to 10. She later said the exercise was voluntary as it was not possible to enforce.

Lam previously served as chief secretary and secretary for development and in other civil service positions. She earned the nickname “good fighter” for her tough stance and refusal to back down in political battles.

Lam renounced her British nationality in 2007 when she was appointed secretary for development. Her husband and two children have retained their British nationalities.

Advertisement