Showtime's 'Twin Peaks' reboot in limbo after David Lynch comments

David Lynch mystifies fans again with comments about new Showtime reboot of "Twin Peaks"

Things are getting a little weird with Showtime's reboot of "Twin Peaks," but what else would you expect from director David Lynch? Normalcy ain't his bag.

Showtime and Lynch announced last year that the murder mystery series, which ran for two fabled seasons on ABC in the early 1990s, would return in 2016 with Kyle MacLachlan back as FBI agent Dale Cooper. "It is happening again," Lynch tweeted to fans at the time, along with a trailer Showtime edited to promote the new show.

But over the weekend Lynch puzzled fans by hinting that the series might not return after all because of contractual "complications."

"We're still working on the contract," Lynch said on Australian TV. "But I love the world of 'Twin Peaks.'"

A Showtime spokeswoman said Monday that the network had no comment.

But a source close to the production said that the deal for the show remains in place and the network loves the scripts it has seen. Nine episodes have been ordered, but nothing has been shot.

As for Lynch, he doesn't seem particularly eager to dispel any confusion. His Twitter account, which has more than 2 million followers, hasn't been updated in more than two months. The last message contained a photo of MacLachlan, welcoming him back to the world of "Twin Peaks."

Another mystery from the man behind "Eraserhead" and "Blue Velvet."

What do you think of Lynch and "Twin Peaks"?

Twitter: @scottcollinsLAT

MORE FROM ENTERTAINMENT:

'Community' is back in session, this time on Yahoo Screen

'Better Call Saul' recap: Jimmy acts honorably -- and it costs him

In 'The Jinx,' Durst reminds us of the narrative power of crime dramas

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
58°