Dodgers
Plaschke: Vin Scully is a voice for the ages
L.A. Now

Disneyland measles outbreak spreads to 22 cases statewide

Disneyland measles spreads to 22 statewide; confirmed cases in Long Beach, San Bernardino

The measles outbreak originating in Disneyland has spread farther -- to 22 cases statewide -- with health officials Monday warning about possible exposure from more confirmed cases in San Bernardino and Long Beach. 

One person in Long Beach was confirmed to have contracted the disease after visiting Disneyland between Dec. 15 and Dec. 20, said Dr. Mitchell Kushner, Long Beach's city health officer.

MORE: Plunge in kindergartners' vaccination rate worries health officials

Two people in San Bernardino County were also diagnosed with measles. Officials from the county's Department of Public Health declined to release further information other than the cases are "in conjunction" with those arising from Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure theme parks.

It's unclear if either of the two people from San Bernardino County visited the parks or were exposed to measles by those who visited and became infectious.

Between Dec. 15 and Dec. 20, visitors to the Anaheim theme parks may have been exposed to measles, according to California's Department of Public Health.

The three new cases bring the statewide total up to 22 as of Monday, plus at least two confirmed cases in Utah and one each in Colorado and Washington.

Measles has been confirmed in Riverside, Los Angeles, Alameda and San Diego counties, with Orange County having eight cases as of Friday. One case was reported in Ventura County, state officials said.

Of those diagnosed, 12 were unvaccinated and four were vaccinated, state officials said. Six others either had no records of their vaccination or didn't know their vaccination status.

Nine others are being monitored for measles symptoms. Of those, five have no known links to the Disney outbreak.

Long Beach's top medical officer warned that the public may have been exposed at four locations between 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 3:

  • Total Wellness Club and Bank of America in the 6400 block of Spring Street
  • Stater Brothers in the 6500 block of Spring Street
  • Bank of America in the 6300 block of Spring Street

Health officials in San Bernardino have also warned the public that they may have been exposed to measles at several locations, including:

  • Casino Morongo in Cabazon on Jan. 4 from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
  • Magic Wok in Chino on Jan. 6 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Jimmy's Warehouse Sportscard in Whittier on Jan. 7 from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Pomona Valley Health Center Urgent Care in Chino on Jan. 8 from 3:56 p.m. to 5:05 p.m.

The highly contagious disease causes fever, rash, cough and red, watery eyes. Those infected are contagious from about four days before the rash appears through four days after.

Brief interactions with those who have measles offer a low risk of infection, but officials are asking those who visited the locations to watch for symptoms from seven to 21 days after the possible exposure.

In 2000, public health officials reported that measles was eliminated, but its resurgence has generated widespread concern.

From Jan. 1 through Nov. 29 last year, measles cases numbered 610 in 24 states, a record high since its elimination. The majority of cases are in unvaccinated people.

State and local public officials have said the best way to stave off infection is to get vaccinated.

Children should get their first vaccination between 12 and 15 months of age, with a second dose between 4 and 6 years old before going to school.

For breaking news in California, follow @MattHjourno

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times

UPDATE

6:33 p.m.: This story was updated to include an updated tally of statewide measles cases from the California Department of Public Health.

7:34 p.m.: This story was updated to include the vaccination status of those with measles.

This story was originally published at 6:20 p.m.

92°