Three take formal step to run for L.A. County supervisor next year

Three Republicans file fundraising forms for LA County supervisor seats

Three political hopefuls have taken the first official step toward becoming a candidate in next year's races for Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, county election officials said Monday.

Before they can begin raising money for their campaigns, candidates must submit statements with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's office. Saturday was the first day the so-called "501" statements could be filed.

Among the first wave of early filers was Steve Napolitano, a former Manhattan Beach councilman and a current aide to Supervisor Don Knabe, who must leave office next year because of term limits. Napolitano announced about a year ago that he would run to succeed his boss.

Also submitting a fundraising intention form was Mike Gin, a former mayor of Redondo Beach. Gin issued a statement earlier urging Rep. Janice Hahn (D-San Pedro) to stay in the U.S. House of Representatives instead of seeking Knabe's seat. 

L.A. County Deputy Dist. Atty. Elan Carr also filed a fundraising form, county officials said. Unlike Napolitano and Gin, who are eyeing Knabe's 4th District seat, Carr is interested in running for the 5th District seat of Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, who also is being forced out by term limits next year. Last year, Carr lost a Westside-based congressional race to succeed retiring Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Beverly Hills) but demonstrated that he could raise campaign money.

All three of the earliest filers are Republicans, as are Knabe and Antonovich; the board of supervisors is officially a nonpartisan post.

In announcing her candidacy last month to succeed Knabe, Hahn became a top contender for a seat on the board where her father, the late Kenneth Hahn, served for four decades.

Antonovich's chief deputy, Kathryn Barger, a Republican, also has announced her candidacy and has her boss' endorsement.

Neither Barger nor Hahn had filed fundraising forms as of the close of business Monday, according to a registrar's spokeswoman.

Next year's primary election is June 7. If no candidate wins a majority of the vote for a particular district, then the top two finishers will compete in the November general election.

Follow @jeanmerl for the latest in Southern California politics news.

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
79°