A gas well leak in the upscale San Fernando Valley community of Porter Ranch has poured fumes into the neighborhood. Since the leak began in October, thousands of residents have been relocated to temporary housing. Many are reporting health issues such as headaches, nausea, nosebleeds and dizziness. Southern California Gas Co. predicts the leak will not be plugged until late February, possibly March.
Do you live in the area? Share your story with The Times
Among the key developments:
- Officials announce leak is permanently sealed on Feb. 18
- Leak is temporarily stopped on Feb. 11
- L.A. County files criminal charges against Southern California Gas Co. on Feb. 2, joining 10 other local, state and federal agencies that are either investigating or suing the gas company.
- The South Coast Air Quality Management District sues Southern California Gas Co. on Jan. 26, accusing the company of negligence.
- Gov. Brown declares state of emergency on Jan. 6
- Leak is discovered by gas company on Oct. 23