Forty-nine people are dead and at least 53 injured in the deadliest shooting in American history after Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old U.S. citizen, opened fire and took hostages inside the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
What we know:
- All 49 victims who were killed at Pulse on Sunday have now been identified. You can read their stories here.
- Mateen made a series of Facebook posts before and during his attack raging against the "filthy ways of the West," according to a Senate committee letter.
- President Obama met with victims' families in Orlando.
- Investigators are focusing on the question of how much Mateen's current wife, Noor Zahi Salman, knew about his plans before the attack. She could face federal charges if she knew the attack was going to occur but failed to alert authorities.
- Gunman Omar Mateen had used a gay dating app in the year before the shooting, and had visited Pulse several times before.
- Follow coverage from the Orlando Sentinel and see a timeline of how the shooting unfolded.