At least one official in San Antonio has expressed disappointment over the Raiders' new plans after team owner Mark Davis approached the city last year about the possibility of relocating the franchise to their city.
“I may be a little bit too cynical, but they are not truthful with you. They lie," Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff told the San Antonio Express-News.
Wolff, who served as mayor of San Antonio from 1991-95, has seen this before. Both the New Orleans Saints and Florida Marlins at one point claimed they were interested in moving to San Antonio before backing away.
“As you know after my escapades with the Saints and the Marlins, I am very distrustful of all of them. My distrust of the NFL and of Major League Baseball is really high. That’s why I have always thought 'no mas' — unless both the team and the league are at the table."
Although Wolff is skeptical of the Raiders moving to San Antonio, there are some in the city who still are trying to bring the team to Texas.
“The concerted efforts of San Antonio’s public and private sectors remain focused on a long-term vision to bring the Raiders to the Alamo City,” the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce said in a statement.
The Chargers and Raiders told The Times on Thursday that each team will continue to seek public subsidies for new stadiums in their home markets. However, they said they are developing a detailed proposal for a privately financed venue in Carson in the event they can't get deals done in San Diego and Oakland by the end of this year.
Staff writer Sam Farmer contributed to this report.