Washington’s Jumper Gives Syracuse 65-63 Win Over Georgetown

Share via
The Washington Post

Probably the only thing Pearl Washington likes more than playing Georgetown is beating Georgetown. And it was Washington’s jump shot with eight seconds remaining Monday night that gave Syracuse a 65-63 victory over the Hoyas.

Georgetown, which had slipped to No. 2 in the national rankings Monday, lost for the second straight time and had its road winning streak ended at 26 games.

After Washington’s 15-foot jumper put Syracuse (ranked eighth by United Press International, ninth by the Associated Press) ahead, 64-63, Georgetown (18-2, 7-2 in the Big East) had a chance to win and another chance to take the game into overtime.


But Reggie Williams’ long inbounds pass sailed high, through David Wingate’s hands with six seconds left. And, after Washington made only one of two free throws with four seconds left, Michael Jackson missed a desperation heave from about 35 feet with a second remaining.

That sent 32,229 in the Carrier Dome--the third-largest crowd ever here--into a frenzy. The fans had disrupted the game earlier by throwing oranges onto the floor. And at the end they stormed the court as if Syracuse (13-3, 5-3) had won the national title.

“This is a tremendous feeling,” Syracuse forward Rafael Addison said after scoring 26 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. “Georgetown may not be No. 1 anymore, but anytime you beat them it’s a treat. I’m feeling pretty good right now.”

So, undoubtedly, was Washington. Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim decided in the huddle, after calling a timeout with 16 seconds left, that Washington would try to penetrate to the basket and either shoot or look for Addison, who had made 10 of 18 shots.

“It was so clogged in the middle, I thought I should shoot,” Washington said. “I had four fouls, and so did Michael Jackson (the man guarding Washington). This is great. Yes, I love playing Georgetown.”

Patrick Ewing’s three-point play had given Georgetown a 61-60 lead with 3:07 left after the Hoyas had trailed by as many as eight points earlier in the second half.


Ewing led Georgetown with 21 points and 17 rebounds. And, on the three-point play, he asked Coach John Thompson if he could play in the lane instead of getting back on defense like he normally does.

Ewing went hard after Bill Martin (15 points, six rebounds), missed his second foul shot, put in the rebound and the subsequent free throw.

Ewing also gave the Hoyas a 63-62 lead with just under two minutes left when he made a pair of free throws. Andre Hawkins committed a turnover for Syracuse, and Perry McDonald missed a shot for Georgetown with about 37 seconds left, giving Syracuse the ball to set up Washington’s basket.

“I’m disappointed that we lost. But I’m pleased that we’re playing better in many ways than we were when we were winning all those games,” Thompson said afterward. “Would you count us out now? We’ve lost before. We’re not ready to run home and cry.

“Addison is tough, but Pearl must be pretty tough, too, to make that kind of shot.”